Thursday 1 August 2013

A fellow survivor pours out his heart

Victor Emeana writes:
Ada, this is not a review in the literary sense. As I said  earlier, it is just my impression of your book-Forest Dames.
Firstly I found the title in sync with the story. It matched like hand in glove. Just the way" Things Fall Apart" for instance is so apt a title for its story.
Secondly,the book is so readable that an average literate person shouldn't have problems with understanding the
diction because they are so lucid. My experience is that most great authors write in that style including our own Achebe.
Thirdly the print and editing were top class. One of the readers, Dr Megwa who is quite fastidious in such matters was full of praises.

Now to the story it self. It is difficult for me to describe directly how I felt, I guess my best attempt would be an ad-mixture of nostalgia and grief. Nostalgia for recollection of fun, that  strange irony in wars,but mostly grief. As a little boy I witnessed even if not understanding the complexities,the pogrom  in Kano,but experienced the trekking to buy food stuff for over 50 kilometres stretching 2 to 3 days, the anxiety of father and brothers being expected from danger zones, the hunger, the humiliation and deprivation of being a Refugee including the loss of my dear maternal grandmother etc. The book brought all these back and more. It spelt the word TRAGEDY in a subtle albeit powerful way. It's knack for details is almost legendary- the war folklores, the narration of Owerre idioms, fables etc, the depiction of Owerre culture in such special occasions as burial rites, but perhaps more significantly the portrayal and erosion at once of Owerre core values of integrity, diligence,faith,kindness,dignity etc.Yes dignity even in the face of danger.
To anyone who didn't have the experience of that war, the book may well be too horrific to be real and so a great fiction, what with the burying alive, twenty bucks, starvation as weapon of war, etc. But for us who survived to tell and read the story, we know your book is as real as death itself.
The truth was told in Forest Dames. The gross injustice to a people was laid bare crying for correction even to this day. The hypocrisy of a government was exposed. And the  opportunity lost of leap-frogging to greatness of a nation blinded by petty vendetta completing the tragedy of that country  that has refused to be weaned of its" victory" breast milk 43 years after.
My sister, I salute you .Your writing is a gift to you and from you. You have at least stood up to answer whenever it is said-" But who will tell the Owerre woman's story of that war"?  "Here I am, I did" will be your bold reply. And we your brothers and sisters will be clapping in applause. Ya gazie bola gi.  Victor Emeana.
Sent from my BlackBerry wireless device from MTN

No comments:

Post a Comment