Thursday 1 November 2012

Under Siege! – a poem on Biafra.


Under Siege! – a poem on Biafra.

They wanted me, I did not want them.
They pursued me, I out ran them
One of them aimed to shoot at the fleeing girl
Some fleeting object blocked his view
I meandered the nooks  and they got confused
They were strangers and wouldn’t dare, even with their guns.   Disillusioned they grabbed an older woman
Entreaties. Entreaties. Entreaties!
All fell on deaf ears.

“Get the fleeing girl or this woman replaces her!”.
He hollered. The people shivered.
A trembling mother came out
“The girl will for sure return this night and we shall keep her for you...
Please leave the woman now and pick the girl tomorrow”
“Okay. Agreed. Make sure you keep her for me, otherwise...” He adjusted his riffle.
Still gripped with fear, the people watched them pace out of sight.
“Mchieew, stupid soldier, seeking to reap where he  did not sow” They jeered.
“Relocate her, relocate her!” they screamed.
“Yes of course. We’ll relocate with her. That promise was broken before it was made”


We are survivors!!!
Ada Agbasimalo  
Theme: "The Forest Dames"

2 comments:

  1. wonderful write up.I believe biafra will one day come to stay because they were really dealt with in the war. more of this madam.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete